Sunday, January 17, 2010

Called to Serve...

I've never had a clear idea of what it means to be a part of a "branch" instead of a "ward" in our church. I have always grown up around plenty of active members in an organized, well-functioning ward. My eyes have been opened. We meet in a small but sufficient building that overlooks Grand Anse Beach. If I had to guess, I would say that there is around 30 active members whose testimonies are still growing. While it is extremely hot to sit through each meeting, the spirit is strong and I have a deeper understanding of the phrase, "the gospel is one and the same wherever you go."
Our first Sunday Jerod was called to be the Gospel Principles teacher to new converts and less active members. I was asked to lead the music in Sacrament Meeting. Today, our second Sunday, I was called to be the first counselor in the Young Women Presidency. I will have a few short months to be trained in this position and then will train and assist a Young Women President that will hopefully be a Grenadian, rather than myself. Presidency positions here, whenever possible, should be held by a local so that that the branch can function when the students aren't present. The current Young Women President, who will be heading home soon, met with me briefly today and her words of encouragement were this, "you have a tough job ahead of you." I pray I can be up for the challenge!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I can't think of a cuter young woman's leader! I am sure you are up to the task and it will help fill your time while you're there!
What an adventure.....

Zane and Lexi said...

You will be great! LOVE the blog :)