Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Beaches, Banks, and Busy Bees

As you can see on Sunday I posted some pics from our first week here. By the time I figured out how to get them on my blog I was too tired to make any comments. Obviously there are pics of Emma playing at the beach and a few of the pictures were taken on campus. Now I feel so far behind on blogging I don't even know were to begin.
Over the last week we have been busy bees trying to find a car, changing our US dollars into EC, getting things unpacked, shopping and more. Sounds easy, right? Wrong! Let me explain. Everything you do here just takes more time in general. This is simply due to our limited knowledge of how things are done here on the island and to a lack of modern conveniences.
We learn new things everyday. Like, if your at the bank and you get a call on your cell or you need something out of your car, its okay to leave the line and then return to the same spot when you finish talking. Also, at the bank you must have 2 forms of picture ID to exchange money so don't wait in line for a half an hour if you don't have both with you. Finally, if your driving and you feel like stopping in the middle of the road to answer your cell, count your change, or talk to the street vendor, this is perfectly fine. Others can just wait or go around you if possible.
As far as modern conveniences go, I really miss my microwave, dryer, and dishwasher (things often taken for granted when they are so easily accessible). So please, next time you need to heat up left overs, dry a shirt in a hurry, or clean your dishes after a large home cooked meal, give your appliances a big hug for me and then thank them for making your life a little easier.
Okay so today's post may sound like I am a little bitter about being here and I want to make it perfectly clear that this is not the case. I'm just trying to give you an idea of what it's like to live in the Caribbean. It's just a big adjustment and huge lifestyle change. Grenada is absolutely beautiful and I love going to the beach whenever I feel like it. We have also met some amazing people. One of them being our neighbor Mary Ann, who makes us homemade popsicles and has been lending us her car until we have our own. Jerod's friend, Blair has also been extremely helpful, showing us around and sharing his car too. Also most Grenadians love children, which means Emma gets a lot of attention wherever we go.
Well I can think of many more random things to blog about but for now it's late, I'm tired, and every experience is starting to blur together in my mind. A good indicator that it's time to stop typing and fall asleep to the sounds of Grenada (I'll blog about sounds here another time.) Goodnight all!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Yikes! That was how it was in Ukraine too. No microwaves, dryers or dishwashers and everything was tiny. Like the washer held like two pairs of jeans or three towels and it ran FOREVER!
The kitchen's were tiny. Like not even ONE bum size.
Is everything tiny there? And to show how un-geography minded I am, you didn't feel anything from the earthquake in Haiti did you?? I thought of you instantly and had to find a map to see exactly where you are and where Haiti is, it's not too close but still you could have felt something??

Matty and Jen-i said...

Oh Stef! I was just thinking how great I have it when I went to get a prescription refill, cavity re-fixed, movie rental, and diet coke in 20 minutes. That sounds like a hard adjustment, but its a great experience and you will really appreciate it when you come back! I wish we could come to the beautiful island and go on the tubing excursion again. Well, not really.. it was pretty lame. But I really want to be in the caribbean right now. I hate this inversion. Have you run into Fun or the guy that is perma-high.. forgot his name?