Saturday, January 2, 2010

And So Our Adventure Begins...


Yesterday, late evening, we arrived in Grenada tired and wondering what would happen next. Our experience getting here was a bit frustrating. We did not get to take all of our luggage and the airline lost Emma's carseat. However, on a happier note, Emma was very well behaved. On the flight to Grenada she spent most of the time sitting with another first term SGU student, April who was seated behind us. A missionary couple from the branch was there waiting to pick us up and take us home. Luckily they had a truck with just enough room for the luggage we could bring. Once we arrived at the apartment George, our landlord, came out in his underwear to help us unload. His mother Joyce handles all the living arrangements. She stocked the fridge with water, OJ, cheese, butter and bread so that we had something to eat for breakfast. We were so grateful for the food. Although Emma was extremely tired she had a rough night. Needless to say I ended up sleeping in her bed with her and have decided that I am jealous of her mattress, it is much more comfortable than ours. Too bad Jer and I can't fit in a twin size bed!

In the morning Joyce picked us up, took us to get drivers licenses, and then dropped us at the grocery store. She came back to pick us up in an hour. Emma went right to her and she loves the dogs that belong to George and Joyce. Later we were able to get a hold of another students wife who drove us to our friends car that we will be borrowing until they get home from break. We went for a short drive and then came home for dinner. The sun goes down at about 6:30 so we didn't want to be driving in the dark since we are unfamiliar with the island.

Once home Jocye brought us an old cell phone loaded with minutes for us to borrow until we can buy our own. We had no idea that she would do so much for us and are forever grateful for her kindness. She has gone above and beyond to help us settle in. I love her already! I will not lie, there have been a few short moments when I have thought to myself "what am I doing here" and "I changed my mind, I am going home." It is scary to be in new place and constantly have to wonder about the unknown, but everytime I've been worried about something it just gets worked out. It is very hot and humid here which makes it difficult not to keep running the A/C, but at the grocery store today we were reminded how expensive everything is here when we payed the bill for $835 EC! Well this is the story of our last 2 days and what an adventure it has been so far. Please, if you read our blog, keep in touch. We would love to hear from you. Stay posted for more ridiculously long stories to come!

8 comments:

Wendy said...

I told you I'd be a faithful blog follower. Oh, my what an adventure!! I'm jealous of your heat but not your grocery bill!
Love
W

Matty and Jen-i said...

What a great adventure! I have to say I'm really jealous! Especially about the half-naked man helping you unload your luggage. : ) I can't believe it is really here and you guys are gone. I'm glad Ems was good on the flight. I am going to get skype hooked up next week. Have a good week! I can't wait to hear more!

Jami said...

Wow Stef, you made it! I feel bad I never got my act together last month and called you. I know you had a rough month. We have been sick FOREVER too, but hopefully getting better now. Good luck in this huge adventure. I'm sort of jealous. Keep in touch. Hopefully one day you'll be back at JVMC with the rest of us.

Unknown said...

So how much is 835 EC???? It looks beautiful there. Just think of it as an adventure.. I'm a little jealous.

todd and jeanette said...

happy to hear you made it there safely. when you get down, just remember it is 23 degrees here. ;) i'm looking forward to hearing of the continous adventures that are ahead! sounds like you have great support there.

Richards Fam said...

835 EC is about 320 US dollars, but for what we bought, in the US it would be 100 dollars cheaper!!!!

Mardi said...

I am so glad U all made it down there safely. Lord knows how much we will miss seeing U when we came to Utah. Please enjoy your life abroad and make many memories for your family. Please keep in touch and remember we all love U! Jerod Victor says you're his #1 Brother so be sure U contact us however.....Love U Lots! Mardi

Unknown said...

HI from Hal and Betty!.
So glad you are getting settled in and hope for nothing but the best for you guys as you start this exciting time. The sunset looks so beautiful, the bugs not so much!!!
love you.